If you would like a Nursery School place for your child, please bring your child’s birth certificate/passport and a proof of address for the parent/carer (recent utility bill or bank/building society statement). You can make an appointment by calling: 0121 675 8876. We will register your child and once a place becomes available, we will contact you either by letter or telephone.

Admissions Criteria for Local Authority Community Day Nurseries, Nursery Schools and Nursery Classes

When can a parent start claiming

The date claims can start depends on the child’s birthday.

Child’s birthday When you can claim
1 January to 31 March The beginning of term on or after 1 April
1 April to 31 August  The beginning of term on or after 1 September
1 September to 31 December The beginning of term on or after 1 January


A child was born on 15 February 2013. Free childcare can be claimed when the next term starts after 1 April 2016.


The free early education and childcare must be with an approved childcare provider.
It stops once a child starts reception class in a state school.

New Criteria for Full Time spaces from September 2016

Maintained Nursery Schools should offer full-time places to children who are identified as meeting the criteria for a full-time place first and then offer remaining places on a parttime basis according to the criteria.

Children in the following circumstances are likely to meet the criteria to be offered a full-time place. (This list is not exclusive and is an example of situations that may be identified within the thresholds of Additional and Complex/significant needs). If you require further clarification please speak to either Jane Harford (Head Teacher) or Claire Twigg (Deputy Head Teacher).

  • Children with a Child Protection Plan or are subject to a section 47 Child Protection investigation or a section 17 Children in Need plan
  • Children in Local Authority Care or subject to a Special Guardianship Order
  • Children identified as in need of early help through an fCAF and have in place a family support plan
  • Children with diagnosed disabilities who have an Education, Health and Care plan (or are in the process of) and/or are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or children who have been referred to or by a Child Development centre/equivalent specialist education agency
  • Children from families where their physical accommodation places the child at risk of harm
  • Children whose parents/carers need support as a result of their physical disability, learning disability, mental health problem or illness
  • Parent/carer in prison
  • Children from families experiencing domestic violence or drug/alcohol abuse
  • Children who are in the first stages of language development
  • Children from families with no recourse to public funds
  • Children in exceptional circumstances around a safeguarding/vulnerable situation need.

All other conditions remain the same as detailed within the section for allocating free entitlement places.

Criteria for free places for 2 year olds

Two year old can get free early education and childcare if the family receive one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit
  • Tax credits and you have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for
    Working Tax Credit).

A child can also get free early education and childcare if any of the following apply:

  • They’re looked after by a local council
  • They have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and
    care (EHC) plan
  • They get Disability Living Allowance
  • They’ve left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption

Newtown Nursery School Is an Inclusive setting that follows the principles set out in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 2014.

In the section entitled Improving outcomes, high aspirations and expectations for children with SEN, it states:

5.7    Early years providers must provide information for parents on how they support children with SEN and disabilities, and should regularly review and evaluate the quality and breadth of the support they offer or can access for children with SEN or disabilities. Maintained nursery schools and all providers of relevant early education to children with SEN must co-operate with the local authority in reviewing the provision that is available locally (see Chapter 3), and in developing the Local Offer (see Chapter 4). Providers should work in partnership with other local education providers to explore how different types of need can be met most effectively.

5.8     Local authorities must ensure that all providers they fund in the maintained, private, voluntary and independent sectors are aware of the requirement on them to have regard to the SEN Code of Practice and to meet the needs of children with SEN and disabilities. When securing funded early education for two-, three- and four-year-olds local authorities should promote equality and inclusion for children with disabilities or SEN. This includes removing barriers that prevent children accessing early education and working with parents to give each child support to fulfil their potential.

When admitting a child with SEND we will pay full regard to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 2014. If we are unsure whether we can accommodate or meet the needs of an individual child the Local Authority will be contacted for advice and information.

Birmingham Federation of Maintained Nursery Schools logo